The Indian government has taken a number of steps to improve Aadhaar confidentiality, as well as to safeguard Aadhaar security and avoid its misapplication. Locking Aadhaar implies using the 16-digit Virtual ID (VID) instead of your 12-digit Aadhaar for all forms of verification. And once Aadhaar is locked, individuals are unable to perform biometric, demographic, or OTP-based authentication using the UID, UID Token, or ANCS Token. If a citizen wishes to unlock their UID, they can do so via the resident portal.
Upon unlocking, residents can use their UID, UID Token, and ANCS Token to authenticate for Biometric, Demo, and OTP-based transactions, as well as their VID. Hence, below are the ways following which you can lock your Aadhaar card biometrics and prevent it from misuse.
Locking Aadhaar Number :-
Locking Aadhaar entails using the 16-digit Virtual ID (VID) instead of your 12-digit Aadhaar for all types of authentication. The two methods for locking your Aadhaar number are listed below.
Via UIDAI Portal :-
- Visit UIDAI portal and under ‘Aadhaar Service’ open Resident portal
- Now click on Lock & Unlock and select UID Lock Radio Button
- Enter the security code after entering the UID number, full name, and pin code as mentioned in the most recent details.
- Now select Send OTP or select TOTP and click on ‘Submit’ Upon successful submission your UID will be locked instantly.
- Via SMS The resident must have a 16-digit VID number in order to lock UID, and this is a precondition for locking the Aadhaar…Read more>>